Monday, October 24, 2011

Lessons from the mind of a man who likes to learn

So thanks to a friend of mine deciding to start a blog (toaderyabounds.blogspot.com) I have decided to start a blog that has been rolling around in my mind as of late.  I am not much of a writer normally, but I do tend to have a lot on my mind, and more importantly I try to learn something every day.

The name of the blog comes from old episodes of South Park, wherein the kids would always say "You see, I learned something today".  I don't plan on teaching any large lessons when I write my blog, but I hope that someone learns something from what I write.  If not, at the very least I get to try and think of a lesson that I learned during the day.

I am going to try and keep this up every day, but I know myself and I probably won't remember to do it.  However, I will still try to make sure I keep it up.  Most likely the people that I know will read this will bug me if I don't so there is that.

Now then, for the purpose of the blog itself.  Something that I learned today.

Today I learned that sometimes I am more adaptable than I might think.  For those of you reading this that don't know, Sunday 10/23 I had a couple of major changes in my life.  The first one is that I moved in with my girlfriend.  We have been together for over 7 months (quickly approaching 8) and things have been going so well that we decided to take that next step.  What does this mean for the future?  Who can say?  I have known plenty of people that have lived together and gotten married, and plenty that have not.  We all know that past performance is not indicative of future events.  However, I am sure that this will end up becoming a lot of the basis for future blog posts. (Don't worry, Hon, I won't use your name, or give any details.)

The second thing is that my best friend of about eleven years moved away.  This was something that has been coming for a long time, and I knew it was coming.  However, it still feels strange to think that I will not be going over to his place to hang out any time this week.  I am slightly sad over the event, but life moves on.  Plus, he moved to the Seattle area, which is an area that I wish to move one day anyway, so I doubt that it will be a long time that I don't get to see him.  Not to mention I am going to try and make plans to go up there for the Thanksgiving weekend.

But the point of both of those are that I am strangely calm about it.  I know that most people have lots of anxiety when there are major changes in their life, and I did have issues getting to sleep last night, but today I have pretty well already moved past it and am ready to face what comes.

I suppose this comes from the fact that I grew up with a dad in the Army.  While we did not move that often (I spent most 1st-5th grade in the same school) so I did not have it as bad as some of us, I did have to learn to let go of things quickly, because there is no point to dwelling.

Luckily, I know that I am not broken inside, because there are times that I still miss my mom, who died a while ago.  I suppose it is just the fact that I can let the things go that might be a bit harder for others to let go. I know that many people can't give up friends or places where they live without feeling bad for a week.

I am the Borg.

I adapt.

No comments:

Post a Comment